Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Lacevember Contest

The Lacevember KAL has a contest going on right now - answering the multitude of questions below. So, grab a cup of coffee and read on...

The knitting questions, or the usual suspects:
••How long have you been knitting?
I started knitting probably when I was about 9 years old. I knitted off and on through the years but did not get serious (addicted) until about 4 1/2 years ago.

••How did you learn to knit?
I really don't remember exactly. My mother must have showed me the basics when I was a kid although I have no specific memory of that. I began learning more advanced techniques on my own when I became addicted 4 1/2 years ago.

••Favorite thing about knitting?
EVERYTHING! Actually, the thing I enjoy the most is the process of just knitting. I find it very relaxing and rewarding. I also love the challenge when I am attempting a new techinque or complicated pattern.

••How long have you been knitting lace?
I think I started my first lace project 3 years ago. It was the Field of Flowers Shawl and it took over a year to complete, although I did put it down for many months during that time.

••Favorite thing about knitting lace.
The challenge. The complexity. The beauty. When it's all complete, I look back on it and say "WOW - I really did that??"

The yarn questions, or flash your stash:
••Favorite lace yarn?
Nothing in particular. I have not purchased a whole lot of lace yarn. I typically buy from Knitpicks because they are very reasonably priced.

••variegated or solids for shawls?
For the most part, solids. I think the solid brings out the lace better than the variegated.

••Favorite lace color?
Any color, depending on the project and my mood.

Technique, or show us your skillz:
••Circs or straights?
CIRCS!!!

••Favorite lace knitting trick?
Count, count, count

••Lifelines? If so with what?
It's not my favorite thing to do, but if I am working on something extremely complicated and large, I'll use a lifeline - dental floss. Mainly, though, I don't like to use a lifelong simply because I do not have the patience to weave it through all the stitches. And - knitting the first row/round after the lifeline is a bit difficult for me. I tend to pickup the lifeline as well so it takes a lot longer to knit because I have to get the lifeline out of the way.

••Fancy blocking wires, or just sewing pins stuck in your carpet?
I like to use the blocking wires to get the edges as straight as possible.


Pattern, or can you follow directions:
••shawls or lacey items?
Shawls, although any lacey item will do just fine.

••triangle, rectangle, or circular shawls?
I prefer triangle shawls but will knit any kind.

••Charts or printed instructions?
I guess a combination - I'm definitely the type that needs printed instructions, but I can use charts. I just like to convert them to written instructions.

••Favorite lace you've knit?
I don't have just one favorite. Typically my favorite generally tends to be the project I am currently working on but if I realy had to pick just one, it would be Frost Flowers & Leaves from the book, A Gathering of Lace.

••Favorite lace you want to knit?
I'd love to knit the Mediterranean Lace Shawl also from A Gathering of Lace.


Just Fun, yup that's right, just for fun:
••Favorite jelly belly flavor?
Marshmallow

••Tell me everything you know about Eric the Red.....
He had red hair? He was a Viking?

••Coke, classic or with lime?
No brainer - Diet coke with lime.

••Holiday carols, sing along, or wish they would be banned from all public airwaves?
Well, I don't mean to offend anybody, but I'm not into holiday carols.

••What is the definition of irony?
Something that's ironic, of course!! Actually, I think it's when something happens that is the opposite of what it should have been.

••How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop?
113,452

••Why is my cat always puking in front of my son's bedroom door?
Would you rather your cat puked on your son's head?

••What is your superhero power?
I'm a cat person.

••If the laundry is 9 foot by 11 foot (just dreaming, that's a big laundry room), and the walls are 8 feet tall, and you are going to tile the entire room in tiles that are 3 inches by 5 inches, what color should those tiles be?
Off-white

••What's for dinner tonight?
Pasta, garlic bread & salad

••What is clogging my children's bathtub drain?
HAIR!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting and for your nice compliment! I am in awe of your Knitting Out of Africa Sweaters - Kuba is a work of art and I can't wait to see Arrowheads when it's done.... beautiful work!